Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Peru – Day 1 – Cusco

 P1060882

Llegamos a Peru por FIN! We made it to Peru and we are excited. Here we are with Lily (with the hat) and Vanessa. They are our tour guides. We are getting ready for our big trip to Machu Picchu.

We arrived at about midnight and had early morning flights over to Cusco- the jumping off point to get to Machu Picchu. The girls welcomed us with a kiss ( a nice local tradition). These girls promised to be a lot of fun. A lot of energy and a lot of smiles; except Lily tends to tone down her smile every time the camera comes out. Just the opposite reaction Ray has.

P1060883

LIi and Vanessa are way tight. We talked on FaceTime before I came to Peru (because they were already friends with Clark) so it was way fun to finally meet! : )

 P1060884

P1060885

The reason why we have so many pictures of us in the airport is because we spent the night there. We got a little bored!

 P1060887

There’s dad waiting for his 6:55 flight. It got delayed, and I took this right before me and Clark got on our 7:15 flight. Haha. Who knows if we would see him in Cusco?

P1060888

We went with the cheapest airlines, so I was a little nervous about what the plane would be like, but it was better than the ones out of St. George! We still have planes with propellers there. It’s like, who pilots those planes?! One of the Wright Brothers??

 P1060889

Coming out of the airport in Cusco, we found out that my dad had actually beat us there! We saw him standing at the highest point outside the airport waiting for us! We joined him and waited for the girls.

It was a long wait. They took the more expensive airline and were delayed for a couple of hours. We didn’t know what we were going to do if they never showed.

P1060892

We made it to Lily’s aunt Maria’s house. In my hand you can see a huge avocado. It was pretty rad!!!

After the girls arrived, their Aunt Maria walked us over to her place to drop off our bags and pack our day packs for the trip up to Machu Picchu. Tia Maria was super nice to us and made each of us a Papaya milk before we hit the road. It really hit the spot.

 P1060894

Maria lives right by the airport. This is her backyard!

I thought it was hilarious how the airplanes kept coming by. Finally when I heard one I yelled at Lili to run over there for a photo! She made it, but she didn’t have time to turn around and smile.

She pretty much lives on the runway. Pretty nuts.

P1060895

So this van comes flying around the corner, a lady flings open the door, we loaded into it, and then we were on our way! It was an exciting ride and we saw our first Alpaca!

P1060896

The van took us downtown where we got some lunch and checked out some of the sights of Cusco.

 P1060897

This was an incredible stone. It is the only wall piece that has 12 sides. This is Tia Maria in the photo with us.

 P1060898

12 sides!!! What up!

 P1060899

 P1060900

My dad had to take a photo of this….there was an open restroom right outside.

I didn’t have to take it, but I thought he was posing so I did. This was right before we boarded the van that would get us closer to our destination. The driver drove like a maniac down windy and often very bumpy roads. It was about a 2 hour drive.

P1060901

On the bus ride to Ollantaytambo I got carsick. It was miserable. I almost threw up a couple times, and I had a trash can in front of me. Later I found out that in this photo Clark was sitting there sending vibes my way so that I would throw up because it would make such a great story! haha.

Gotta love a good story.

P1060904 

After getting our tickets for the train ride the next morning and rooms for the night we found a great Pizzeria with a wood fired stove. Ray’s stomach had finally settled down and we were so ready to eat.

 

P1060905

We ate at an awesome pizzeria!! I love pizza. Pizza and Kebabs are definitely my two favorite foods.

P1060906

Pretty awesome pizza! I love Pizza! This was one heck of a day. We were up at least 36 hours. Tomorrow we will be at Machu Picchu! I am so excited!

We were so ready to finally get to bed. Good times. A long long day, and we had come a long long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment