Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Paris - Jeur deux


We woke up pretty late this morning, so we had  to hurry out of the house without a shower. 

ha ha ha. 





Just Do It!!! I knew this stature before I went to the Louvre due to the many Nike shirts and shoes that I have seen with this picture. It was awesome. But yes mom, I know its name. It's called the Winged Victory of Samothrace and its the statue of the Goddess Nike. And my friend has just recently informed me that the wings on the medical symbol come from this statue also. So this statue has sponsored the very best athletes and has saved many lives. 


While Clark was appreciating the statue, I was appreciating the GameBoy that doubled as our audio guide. 


This is a review of the Louvre I read about before going there:

It is in a large palace, the collection is huge, but it is swarming with tourists - all of whom just want their photo of the Mona Lisa and nothing else. 

Yeah, I would say that pretty much sums up my trip. 



They say that if you move side to side her eyes kind of follow you. I think if you follow my eyes they kind of follow you. 






I saw my Nike Statue, saw the Mona Lisa, saw that other thing, I thought that was everything...but then Ray shared with me that there are over 30,000 art pieces in the Louvre. Ya...that's my "are you kidding me face"

Not to be confused with Clark's "I'm sleeping" face. 




This is actually super cool. It's from Hammurabi. Here's a couple facts about it: 

"The Code of Hammurabi is a well-preserved Babylonian Law Code dating back to about 1772 BC. It is one of the oldest deciphered writings of significant length in the world.

. The Code consists of 282 laws, with scaled punishments, adjusting "an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth"


I guess I've been to way too many flea markets, because I'm pretty sure I've seen most of this stuff before. 



Statue, statue, statue, statue, statue, painting, statue, statue, statue, statue, Egyptian stuff, statue, statue, statue, statue.....



Out of everything I saw in the Louvre, this was the most impressive. Coca-cola for 3.50?! That's just crazy. I've really never seen anything so outrageous (I'm glad we got our food at the grocery store before going into the Louvre)



So I went to the bathroom and told Clark I would meet up with him at the end of long hallway filled with rooms of art masterpieces. When I came back I found him sitting on a bench reading books on his iPad!

I am the worlds fastest art observer. It's a gift.




I'll probably never be able to do a self-portrait like this one by Rembrandt, but in case anyone else wants to do a portrait of me, feel free to base it off this photo.



Napoleon was pretty good at decorating. Apparently he was also a big fan of children's stories like the one about the three little pigs:



K here is my interpretation of this statue:

 This is Lil Mermaids dad killing a seahorse which symbolizes justice.  

(Mom I am just kidding...it's a joke...I take things like this serious...I was really well behaved in the louvre)



Notre Dame. Yes, lots of people ask where quasimoto's room is, and no, he is not real.






This is the Arche de Triomphe. It was built in honor of the victories of Napoleon Bonaparte. 

So you might be asking yourselves..."Why are they wearing flip-flops?" Our shoes were so wet from the day before that we couldn't take it. I haven't been in rain like that for years. 



This was so cool. So if you look at the Elder on the bottom left of this photo (next to Clark), it's one of Dean's friends, and we met him when we went to the Young Single Adult's activity in Taiwan. He recognized me and Clark and was really happy to see us. He couldn't stop talking about the dance we had there! He was like, we've never had a dance like that in Taiwan before, and because of you guys I danced for the first time in my life. Basically, we're legends over there. haha. It was great. Really nice kid. 


The church is so small and so wonderful. I am so grateful for the Gospel because it brings so much happiness. It doesn't matter where you are in the World you can find peace and joy at Church. This was us at a FHE where I ran into Elder Livingstone's parents. Elder Livingstone was a great missionary and I can tell why...He has great parents. His dad served as a mission president in Congo and now they are in France serving yet another mission. They were so friendly and so accepting of everyone.


Anthony and Virgini were so kind and generous. They made us dinner and it was delicious. They cooked us Crepes. These crepes were incredible because they were stuffed with cheese, jam, beef, mushrooms and all sorts of other delicious things. They were such a great couple and we are so grateful to have met them.

For dessert we had crepes with Nutella. I loved all the other crepes, but the one with nutella is still my favorite. Well, either that one or the one with beef. It was was a fantastic meal. 



1 comment:

  1. the architectures are AMAZING!! thank you for sharing pics :)

    ReplyDelete